The Hutton Honors College (HHC) combines interdisciplinary learning with opportunities to grow intellectually outside of the classroom, encouraging honors students to study abroad, pursue research and creative endeavors, and participate in dozens of enrichment activities each semester. Hutton Honors advisors, in turn, assist you in exploring the many options available to you through the HHC, as well as help you navigate campus-wide institutions, policies, and requirements. We supplement, but do not replace, your major advisor. Each HHC student is an individual; knowing this, we advise accordingly.
Hutton advising syllabus
Expectations and outcomes
- Review your degree requirements and academic progress prior to your appointment
- Reflect on your academic and career goals, expecting to discuss your thoughts and ambitions with your advisor
- Work to become increasingly knowledgeable of HHC resources (e.g., student organizations, grants, courses) and opportunities
- Take ultimate responsibility for your education and goals
- Recognize that you need to take an active role in advising
- Schedule regular advising appointments in order to track your HHC goals and requirements
- Regularly reach out to you about reviewing your academic goals and aspirations
- Listen and respond to your questions and concerns respectfully and professionally
- Provide you with a friendly resource to understand your many options and think through those options, in order for you to make the decision you think is best
- Host programs that introduce you to honors-related academic and professional pursuits
- Offer regular office hours, so that you can reach an advisor in a timely manner
- Engage in high-impact HHC-related activities, including the Hutton Honors Notation, overseas study, academic internships, research, and creative work
- Choose a combination of majors, minors, and certificates that best align with your goals
- Participate in HHC programming and organizations
- Understand how participation in high-impact activities and HHC academic and extracurricular opportunities impacts your goals and future success
- Maintain HHC academic standards, including a semesterly and cumulative GPA of 3.30 or above
Four-Year Advising Plan
The student checklist below outlines general suggestions about what students can do at each stage in their undergraduate career to ensure continued success as an honors student, as well as the ways HHC advisors can help. For more information or for help with applying the guidelines below to your own career, schedule an appointment with an advisor.
We’re Here to Help
Hutton Honors College Advising Services will assist students both online and in-person in 2022-23. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned advisor to ask any questions, or use the Student Appointment Scheduler to schedule a virtual or in-person appointment with one of our advisors. We are here to help you through any difficult questions or circumstances.
If you would like immediate assistance, we encourage you to utilize our drop-in advising hours.
9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm, Tuesday—Thursday
Virtual: 3pm-4pm, Tuesday—Thursday at https://iu.zoom.us/j/81179053620