Financial Emergency Fund

Funding to help during financial emergencies

The Hutton Financial Emergency Fund addresses financial emergencies encountered by Hutton Honors College students. Financial emergencies might include urgent expenses related to housing, utilities, meals, transportation, car repairs, health care, or child care. Funding amounts up to $750 will be considered.


Full-time Hutton Honors College students who are pursuing a bachelor’s degree at IU Bloomington and are in good academic standing (including a cumulative GPA of 3.40) are eligible to apply for assistance from the fund. 

Funding restrictions

All awards from the fund must be spent directly on the emergency described in the application. 

Emergency funding is generally one-time support that is not renewable.

Applicants must demonstrate that the financial need is a one-time, unexpected expense, rather than a chronic financial need.


Applicants should apply as soon as possible after encountering a financial emergency or in anticipation of such an emergency.

To apply, complete the application and send it, along with all other supporting documents you wish to include, as an attachment to Assistant Dean Lynn Cochran at You will be notified of your funding status within a few weeks.

All applicants must attach a resume and an unofficial IU Bloomington transcript to this application.

Important information for funding and scholarship applicants

If you filed the FAFSA and are receiving financial aid (for example: Direct Loans, Pell Promise grants, 21st Century Scholars Covenant), and you receive one of the Hutton Honors College's grants or scholarships, your award from the Hutton Honors College may not be paid-out in the form of cash funds (i.e., as money paid into your Bursar account), but instead, may be used by IU's Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to reduce your student/parent loan burden or reduce your federal/state grant by the amount awarded to you by the HHC.

 To learn how HHC funding may impact your financial aid, please contact OSFA at Also, please refer to OSFA for information regarding study abroad and financial aid.